Best Bunk Bed with Stairs - Bedz King vs. Discovery World Furniture
If you’re a parent with multiple children yet have a house lacking the bedrooms for everyone to have their own, you’ve probably considered or are in the process of considering a bunk bed for your children.
Bunk beds can be a great solution to any compact living situation. Regardless if you’re renting a two bedroom apartment, or simply have a house on the small side, there are many upsides to building upwards.
This is especially true if your children end up owning quite a lot. Having multiple desks, multiple beds, multiple storage spaces for toys and other objects, and all the other contents that can clutter your children’s shared space can become a nightmare very quickly.
So, if you’re looking into getting the benefits that come with a bunk bed for your children, we’ve got you covered.
Why You Should Consider Getting a Bunk Bed with Stairs Instead of a Ladder
There are two primary reasons why all parents should consider a bunk bed with stairs over the more common frames with ladders.
For one, every single bunk bed and stair combo comes with additional storage options. Whether these are drawers built into the stairs, the side of the staircase itself, or built below the bottom bunk, every single additional storage space is invaluable for keeping your kids’ room neat and tidy.
Any parent with children knows that the things their children own can turn into a mountain in seemingly no time at all. And those possessions can quickly get out of hand and end up quite literally everywhere.
Since all bunk beds with stairs come with storage spaces built into them, you can rest a little easier knowing at least some of their possessions will be put away and contained nicely.
The second reason to consider choosing a bunk bed with stairs over one with a ladder is due to overall safety. As a previous owner of several bunk beds both in my childhood and adulthood, I can’t tell you the amount of times that I’ve been on the receiving side of a bruise due to an unfortunate slip made in sleepiness. Kids can make mistakes, and part of being there for them is mitigating risks.
With stairs, you won’t have to worry as much. Having handrails both going on to the top bunk and back down is a great safety feature inherently built into the frame.
The Two Giants of Bunk Beds with Stairs: Bedz King vs. Discovery World Furniture
In the world of bunk beds with stairs (at the affordable level for most people), there are two primary makers that stand out above the rest: Bedz King and Discovery World Furniture.
Below, we’ll be ranking the best available options from both companies and comparing the models available.
The best overall choice for the majority of people out there will be this one by Bedz King. Bedz King is one of the primary manufacturers of self-assembled bunk beds, and feature dozens of different quality variations both with ladders and stairways. They’re known for their quality builds, and relative ease of assembly done by you.
This particular bunk bed set itself is a beast. Weighing in at 265lbs, it contains every single piece to make up the bed frame and stairs. This includes three separate drawers which act as storage space below each step on the stairway. It also includes an additional two longer drawers found below the bottom bunk. And finally, two addition spaces on the side of the staircase can be used to store even more of your children’s things.
If you were counting, that’s a whopping seven separate storage spaces located in and around the bed.
- Bed measures 61.5″ high, 101.5″ wide, and 42.5″ deep.
- Each of the three drawers within the stair case measures 8.5″ x 18″ x 15.5″.
- Both of the two under bed drawers measure 10.75″ x 36.5″ x 23.25″.
- The top bunk can withstand weights up to 175lbs.
- The bottom bunk can withstand up to 200lbs.
- Bottom drawers are on rollers.
- Seven different storage solutions for your children
- Solid build and relatively easy (though lengthy!) installation
- Significantly cheaper than other bunk beds with stairs that routinely hit the multiple thousand dollar marks
- Mattresses sadly not included, but no frame on the market offers mattresses included either
The Discovery Home Furniture answer to the above Bedz King bunk bed is this one. The Mission bunk bed with stairs is another great choice for parents who want to get the most storage space out of their children’s bed.
While the Discovery Home Furniture Mission bunk bed does not include drawers built into the staircase steps themselves, it does have a total of seven drawers. Three of the these drawers are located under the bottom bunk. The other four drawers are built into the side of the staircase and operate as a built-in dresser for your children.
The overall storage space is a little less than the Bedz King model above, but it may be worth it to you if your children do not have any more room for a standalone dresser or closet space for their clothes.
- Bed measures 41″ x 98″ x 64″, but you will need additional length on the one side in order to open the dresser drawers.
- Top bunk can withstand weight up to 180lbs.
- Bottom bunk can withstand weight up to 250lbs.
- Every single drawer measures 15″ x 18″ x 4.75″.
- Bottom Drawers are not attached to anything and can be freely relocated for cleaning.
- Seven drawers located both below the bed and built into the staircase
- No need for a dresser; the side of the staircase functions as one for your children
- Very durable sturdy frame capable of holding even some adults on the bottom bunk
- Not as much storage space as Bedz King model above overall
- Dresser built into the side of staircase means you need additional length on that side to access the drawers
The third on the list and second of the Bedz King models to appear is this one. The primary feature is the full mattress commanding the bottom bunk, and making this bed the most massive overall out of all the options to appear on this list.
If you’re a parent with two children with a wider age gap, you may want to consider choosing this bunk bed model over a double twin setup. A full mattress can help your growing child have a much more restful sleep, especially if they’re prone to rolling in their sleep like I am.
Otherwise, this particular model also boasts the most storage space out of any model on the market. It has two wide under bed drawers, four separate drawers build into each of the four stairs, and three storage cubbies that can be utilized on the side of the staircase. Altogether, this amounts to nine different storage solutions found within the frame of the bunk bed.
- Entire bed measure 69.5″ x 103.25″ x 59″. Significantly larger in terms of both height and definitely depth than the original Bedz King model above.
- Four drawers inside the staircase measure 8.5″ x 18″ x 15.5″.
- Bottom two drawers are on rollers.
- Three different storage cubbies can be utilized in the side of staircase.
- Weight limit of 175lbs for top bunk.
- Weight limit of 200lbs for bottom bunk.
- Nine different storage spaces located in and around the bed frame
- Largest option on the list with the most overall storage space
- Great for children with wide age gaps who have to share a room.
- Expensive compared to most other options, though also features the most out of all options
- May be too large for smaller rooms, sadly
The bunk bed with stairs that has the most overall value goes to this Bedz King model. By omitting the under bed drawers, the overall cost is reduced severely without losing much other than the drawers themselves.
Of course, you won’t have the nice under bed drawers on rollers that the majority of Bedz King bunk bed models feature, but since you aren’t actually losing the space below the bottom bunk, you can freely choose other standalone options for storage and get a little more creative instead.
- Bed measures 61.5 x 102.5 x 42.5.
- Bottom bunk is about 11 inches off the floor.
- Inner drawers within the staircase steps measure 8.5″ x 18″ x 15.5″.
- Top bunk can hold up to 175lbs.
- Bottom bunk can hold up to 200lbs.
- Significantly cheaper than other models by up to 30-40%
- Same quality as any other Bedz King build without the cost
- Under bed storage space isn’t lost, but you won’t have the pretty drawers on rollers
- Not nearly as much overall storage space as other Bedz King bunk beds
- Some colors are significantly more expensive, sadly
The final and most expensive bunk bed with stairs to make the list is this last model by Bedz King.
This last bunk bed features four staircase drawers, three cubbies, and one very obvious feature: the additional under the bed trundle bed.
This trundle bed is perfect for any family that has three children needing to sleep in the same room. Both the top bunk and the trundle bed have the same exact weight limit.
Otherwise, if you have children that love to frequently have their friends sleep over, the trundle bed can also be another great addition. Pull the trundle bed out and allow any friend to sleep comfy. Simply put it away when not in use afterwards.
This Bedz King model also has four drawers in the stairs, and three cubby areas located in the side of the staircase. Not the most possible storage space, but the trundle bed can be a fantastic utility featured gained in return.
- Bed dimensions measure 69.5″ high x 104.25″ long x 59″ deep.
- Top bunk has a weight limit of 175lbs.
- Trundle bed also has a weight limit of 175lbs.
- Bottom bunk has a weight limit of 200lbs.
- Drawers measure 17.75″ x 15″ x 10″.
However, the downside to this is the fact that it’s very expensive compared to other options out there. Not only is the base frame more expensive, but you’ll also have to purchase three separate mattresses separately as well with the addition of the trundle bed.
Regardless, for any parent of three children or children that love having friends over, it has potential to be a great purchase regardless.
- Three beds can allow three children to sleep all at once in separate beds on the same overall frame
- Four drawers and three cubby areas provide a decent amount of storage space for multiple children
- Expensive compared to other bunk beds out there, though they definitely won’t have a frame capable of holding three beds
- Not as much storage space, but the trade off is an extra bottom trundle bed
Picking the Best Bunk Bed with Stairs for Your Situation
Still not sure on which of the above bunk beds with stairs is right for you and your kids? We’ve got you covered. Below are are abbreviated points about which bunk bed is right for each situation.
- If you have two children in need of sharing a space and want a great amount of storage space:
Bedz King Twin Bunk Bed
- If you have two children in need of a combined bed and dresser combination:
Discovery World Furniture Mission Bunk Bed
- If you have two children with an age gap, or simply need the most amount of possible storage space provided in a bunk bed:
Bedz King Twin Over Full Bunk Bed
- If you have two children and need the cheapest, yet quality, option available at the moment:
Bedz King Bunk Bed with Stairs (No Under Bed Storage)
- If you have three children wanting to share the same bunk bed, or intend on hosting a lot of sleepovers:
Bedz King Bunk Bed with Additional Trundle Bed
Thanks for reading, storage space lovers!